Volunteer opportunities available for Upstate’s Your Cause charity, On Point for College
On Point for College, Upstate Medical University’s 2017 Your Cause charity has numerous volunteer options for Upstate employees staff, students and volunteers.
On Point for College is a local non-profit organization that helps low-income and non-traditional students overcome barriers to higher education. As its Your Cause agency, Upstate will provide On Point for College with volunteer, promotional and sponsorship support throughout the year.
Individuals interested in volunteering for On Point for College should contact Rhonda Butler, EdD, of Volunteer Services who serves as Upstate’ s liaison to On Point for College. Email Butler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer opportunities include:
• Assist at annual student celebration Friday, April 28 at the OnCenter. At the event 10 students are chosen to receive recognition awards for their continued success in college. The celebration is also a fundraiser that includes silent auction items. Volunteers are needed for the registration table, assisting patrons with online bidding for silent auction items, and the checkout table. There will be a training session for 1½ hours prior to the event.
• Drive students to and from Syracuse and their college campus at the beginning and end of each semester and during breaks.
• Resume and cover letter review and preparation. Volunteers are needed during peak times of year (April/May) to assist current students and recent graduates with resume building and cover letter preparation.
• Interview preparation. On Point for College seeks to create a group of professionals committed to interviewing practices that could be called upon on an as needed basis.
• Job shadowing. Many On Point for College students and new graduates need professional role models at home and may have never set foot in a professional workplace or office environment. On Point for College works to provide students and graduates with exposure to professional workplaces and careers they may otherwise be unfamiliar with through job shadowing.
• Assist at Golf for Grads Tournament. On Point for College hosts a fundraising golf tournament each August. Volunteers are vital to the success of this event that includes planning the day and its activities, recruiting sponsors, soliciting donations, and helping out the day of the event. Planning typically begins in April and runs through August. Meetings are held during the workday.
On Point for College began in 1999 and has helped more than 7,200 first generation youth get into college, graduate and achieve success. On Point for College supports every aspect of a student’s encounter with higher education, depending on the level of support needed. The agency helps with the college application and financial aid process, drives students to and from college and provides them with support while in school and during summer academic programs.
About 20 On Point for College students have enrolled or graduated from Upstate; five On Point for College alumni currently work at Upstate.
Last year, Team Upstate’s Your Cause charity was Clear Path for Veterans, a Chittenango-based agency that serves veterans and their families.
Caption: On Point for College representatives and Team Upstate members gather with Upstate Medical University President Danielle Laraque-Arena, MD, FAAP, center, after the agency’s selection as Upstate’s Your Cause agency for 2017. From left are Zanette Howe, Team Upstate Committee chair; Dakir Thompson, a LeMoyne College student who is being supported by On Point for College; Laraque-Arena; Samuel Rowser, executive director of On Point for College; and Rhonda Butler, EdD, of Volunteer Services, who nominated On Point for College for the Your Cause sponsorship.