Upstate’s Child Life program to be recognized throughout March
Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital recognizes Child Life Month throughout March, emphasizing the important work done by child life professionals. Child Life Month honors and acknowledges the contributions of Upstate’s 12-member team of certified child life specialists—professionals whose focus is in the use of developmental, educational and therapeutic interventions that help children and their families cope with challenging life events and experiences, such as those related to health care and hospitalization.
The Child Life team at Upstate Golisano will sponsor a variety of special events and activities as part of the monthlong celebration. These include:
· Face painting fun for patients on March 13, 19 and 22.
· Excitement with the Minute to Win It game event on March 20.
· An opportunity to create a mandala with our art therapist in the performance center on March 22.
· A Health Fair featuring booths from various Upstate departments to be held in the performance center on March 27.
· An old-fashioned Pinewood Derby on March 28.
Pediatric staff are asked to join in the fun by wearing special attire on specific days and attending special lunch and learn sessions hosted by the Child Life staff in Room 11405 of the children’s hospital. Lunch and learn sessions will be from noon to 1 p.m. for the first three Thursdays of the month and topics will include use of Buzzy, art therapy and one-voice procedural planning and management. All pediatric staff are invited to attend. Scheduled special attire days are:
· Whether it’s the hippie 60s or the high hair of the 80s, wear fashion from your favorite decade on March 6.
· Support your team! Syracuse University (or your favorite sports team) Day is on March 13.
· Attire with a tropical flair will suit you for Hawaiian Luau day on March 20.
· Wear something that shows what you are passionate about for Support Your Favorite Cause Day on March 27.
For more information on Child Life Month, contact Margaret Nellis, MS, CLLS, manager of the Child Life program. Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital’s child life specialists are certified by the Child Life Council.
Caption: Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital will recognize its child life specialists throughout the month of March. The specialists at the children’s hospital are, from left: Jamie Cary, Gina Lozito-Yorton, Sue Karl, Maggie Zick, Rachel Hannon, Clare Arezina, Margaret Nellis, Lucy Barbera, Marsha Kernan, Janice Nellis, Beth Kinsley and Brittany Metcalf.