Team Upstate encourages community engagement
Team Upstate connects employees and students at Upstate Medical University with many volunteer opportunities on campus, in the Syracuse community and across the region. This connection enhances the quality of life for Central New Yorkers, gives volunteers a feeling of self-worth and respect and adds an important dimension to Upstate’s workplace culture.
Formed in 2003, Team Upstate promotes public awareness of Upstate’s volunteer contributions to the community. Anyone at Upstate can become part of the team by volunteering for and/or participating in one of many Upstate-sponsored events. Included in these events are the annual Carol M. Baldwin Foundation’s A Run For Their Life and The Upstate Foundation’s annual Gala. Also included is the New York State Fair, where nearly 300 employees volunteered at the Upstate exhibit last year.
“Team Upstate demonstrates that Upstate Medical University is comprised of many caring individuals who want to improve the quality of life for others,” said Team Upstate Committee Chair Zanette Howe. “We invite all members of the Upstate family to become part of our team and to learn more about us by visiting our Team Upstate homepage.”
Upcoming Team Upstate volunteer opportunities:
• July 6-24. Backpack and school supplies drive. Donate backpacks and school supplies July 6 to July 24 to benefit local children attending Mary Nelson’s Youth Day BBQ. Visit Youth Day for collection box locations. Volunteers are also needed at the Youth Day Barbecue to be held Saturday, Aug. 15 at the corner of S. Salina Street and Wood Avenue in Syracuse. For more information, call 464-4836.
• Saturday, July 18. Lukie’s Holes Fore Hope Golf Open to benefit the Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital’s Luke Frechette School Room. Woodcrest Golf Club, 6200 Cheese Factory Rd., Manlius. Call 430-3877 for more information.
• Sunday, July 19. Gillie Girls Sprint Triathlon. Gillie Lake at Veterans Memorial Park, Camillus. Proceeds to benefit the Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Fund and breast cancer research at Upstate. Call 464-4263 for more information.
• Friday, July 24. Upstate Open Golf Tournament. 3536 Timber Banks Parkway, Baldwinsville. Proceeds to benefit the Pediatric Emergency Room renovation. Call 464-4416 for more information.
• Sunday, Sept 13. Ride for Cancer Care. Motorcycle ride to benefit adult and pediatric oncology patient care at Upstate Cancer Center, Canastota. For more information, call 464-4416.
• Wednesday and Thursday, Sept. 16, 17. The Upstate Foundation Radiothon for Kids. Y94 and WSYR radio show live from Upstate University Hospital. Call 464-4416 for more information.
• Saturday, Sept. 19. Paddle for the Cure. Paddling/kayaking event to benefit the Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Fund and breast cancer research at Upstate. MountainMan Sports, Old Forge (Moose River). For more information, call 415-3157.
• Sunday, Sept. 20. Aiming Fore the Cure to benefit the Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Fund and breast cancer research at Upstate. Turning Stone Resort and Casino, 5218 Patrick Road, Verona. For more information, call 672-5288.
• Saturday, Sept. 26. Walk to Cure Diabetes. Walk/run to benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Long Branch Park, Knoll Pavilion, Liverpool. For more information, call 464-6335.
• Monday, Sept. 28. Community Giving Campaign begins. Support Upstate’s campaign for the community. For more information, call 464-4263.
• Saturday, Oct. 3. A Run For Their Life. Walk/run to benefit the Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Fund and breast cancer research at Upstate. Gillie Lake at Veterans Memorial Park, Camillus. Call 464-3605 for more information.
• Sunday, Oct. 4. March for Babies. Walk to benefit the March of Dimes. Onondaga Community College, 4585 W. Seneca Turnpike, Syracuse. For more information, call 464-8040.
• Sunday, Oct. 18. Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. Walk to benefit the American Cancer Society. Clinton Square, Syracuse. For more information, call 464-6065.
• November (date to be announced). National Shine a Light on Lung Cancer Vigil. Candlelight vigil to raise awareness about lung cancer. Upstate Cancer Center, 750 E. Adams. St., Syracuse. For more information, call 464-6303.
• Nov. 16 through Dec.11. Toy Drive to benefit local children. Sponsored by the College of Health Professions. For more information, call 464-6903.
• Friday, Nov. 20. Upstate Gala. Celebratory evening to benefit palliative care at Upstate. Presented by The Upstate Foundation. Location to be announced. For more information, call 464-4416.
• Blood Drives. Visit Blood Drives for a complete list of dates and locations.
Caption: Members of Team Upstate participated in the 2014 Carol M Baldwin’s A Run For Their Life. This event is included in Team Upstate’s line-up of summer/fall events.